How to watch Amazon Prime Instant Video in Canada? Besides Netflix and Hulu, Amazon Prime is one of the best video-on-demand services in USA. Shows such as The Grand Tour, Mozart in the Jungle, and Man in the High Castle are exclusively available on Amazon Instant Video. That means that you cannot watch any of these series in Canada due to the fact Amazon Prime is geoblocked. Fortunately, both VPN and Smart DNS proxies allow you to bypass geographic restrictions. Thus, you have to solutions to unblock Amazon Prime Instant Video in Canada on PC, Mac, iOS, Android, PS3, PS4, or Amazon Fire TV.
Watch Amazon Prime Instant Video in Canada VPN/DNS Proxy
Unblock Amazon Prime Instant Video in Canada – VPN Workaround
If you try to watch any movie or TV show on Amazon Prime in Canada, you get a location error stating “This content cannot be played in your region.” How is Amazon able to detect your location you might ask? Well, whenever you are using the Internet, your public IP address is visible to all sites and apps you use. This IP address shows you physical location and is used by geo-restricted channels like Hulu, HBO GO, and Amazon to determine whether you are eligible to watch their videos or not. The good news is that you can hide your IP address and appear online using an American IP address using VPN. In other words, you can use VPN to trick Amazon Instant Video to think you are in USA.
- The US IP address you get when using VPN allows you to unblock all American streaming channels including US Netflix, Vudu, Hulu, HBO Go, ABC Go, and Amazon Instant Video of course.
- Connecting to a VPN server encrypts all of your traffic. Thus, you can surf the web safe in the knowledge that nobody can spy on which websites you are visiting.
- VPN apps are available on PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Android.
- You can also use VPN to unblock channels strictly available in UK, Australia, France, or Germany.
- VPN also allows you to bypass MLB, NHL, NBA, and NFL blackouts
ExpressVPN is the best VPN service you can use to watch Amazon Prime Instant Video in Canada. They even offer a 30-day refund period in case you are not totally satisfied with their American VPN servers. Here’s a list of the best VPN providers to unblock US streaming channels in Canada.
Watch Amazon Instant Video outside USA – Smart DNS Solution
The only major downside of using VPN is that you will not be able to watch any local Canadian streaming channels as long as you are connected to an American VPN server. Obviously, once you disconnect the VPN connection, everything turns back to normal. If you want to avoid having to switch your VPN connection on and off, you can use Smart DNS instead of VPN. With Smart DNS there is no need to reconfigure your setup each time you want to stream content from different region.
- Smart DNS neither masks or hides your IP address.
- You can watch Amazon Instant Video and Canadian streaming services such as CBC, Crave TV, or Shomi simultaneously.
- You can configure Smart DNS on all your streaming devices i.e. PC, Mac, Android, iPhone, iPad, Amazon Fire TV, Smart TV, Apple TV, PS4, PS3, or Xbox.
- Alternatively, you can setup Smart DNS on your router instead if it allows you to change your primary and secondary DNS servers.
- One Smart DNS account works on multiple devices as long as all these devices are connected to the same router.
I should note here that not all Smart DNS proxy services support unblocking Amazon Prime outside USA. If you device to go with Smart DNS to watch Amazon Instant Video in Canada, use Unlocator. They offer a free one-week trial in which you can fully test their services.
How to Create an Amazon Instant Video Account in Canada?
The first thing you need to do is visit Amazon.com and not Amazon.ca. After you sign up for a free 30-day trial, you have to link your Canadian credit card to your American Amazon account. Follow these steps.
- On Amazon.com, go to “Your Account” -> “Edit Payment Method”
- Fill in your credit card details.
While this method has worked for me, some people have reported that Amazon Prime didn’t work for them unless they had a US credit card. If that your case, use this workaround to create your American Amazon Prime account without a US credit card.
- You basically have to create an American zip code using your Canadian address.
- If your zip code is A1B 2C3, you have to remove all the numbers. So, all what is left is ABC.
- Then, add two zeros so that you have a 5-digit zip code i.e. ABC00.
- Use this zip code lookup tool to verify that the zip code you have created actually exists.
- Note down the city/state the lookup comes up with as you will need them to create your Amazon Instant Video account.
- If the zip code lookup comes up as invalid, replace the zeroes with ones.
How to Unblock and Watch Amazon Prime Instant Video in Canada?
Given the premium content you get access to via Amazon Prime, it is no surprise that so many Canadians are looking for ways to unblock Amazon Instant Video in Canada. If you have used VPN or Smart DNS to unblock American Netflix outside USA before, setting it up to watch Amazon Prime in Canada should be no big deal either.