How to watch American channels on Amazon Fire TV in Canada? The Amazon Fire TV Box and Fire TV Stick are two of the best streaming devices money can buy. That is especially true if you live in USA, given the huge amount of streaming channels available. Netflix, Hulu, NBC Sports, Crackle, and HBO Go are some examples. But how to you unblock these US channels on Fire TV in Canada? The answer is by using either VPN or Smart DNS proxies.
Unblock American Channels on Amazon Fire TV in Canada
Creating an American Amazon Account – The First Step
Before we go into unblocking American channels on Fire TV, you need to learn how to create an American Amazon account. Otherwise, you will not be able to add and download US channels to your Fire TV. If you already have an Amazon account, follow these steps:
- Log into Amazon.com. Then, go to -> Your Account -> Manage Your Content and Devices -> Country Settings and set country to USA.
- Also, make sure you have an American address in your Amazon.com account.
- You will now be able to add US channels to Amazon Fire TV in Canada.
Unblock US Channels on Amazon Fire TV using Smart DNS Proxies
If you want to watch Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO GO, or Netflix on Fire TV in Canada, you have to trick these streaming channels into thinking you are located in USA. By using Smart DNS proxies, you will be able to do just that.
- Both Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick are compatible with Smart DNS. That means you can directly configure Smart DNS on your Fire TV.
- Smart DNS does not change your IP address. You will still be able to watch local Canadian streaming channels.
- Your Internet speed does not drop when using Smart DNS.
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO GO, Crackle, Showtime, Vevo, Amazon Instant Video are all supported.
Head over to Unlocator and sign up for a free 7-day trial. Once done, follow the setup guides and videos to configure Smart DNS on your FireTV.
Watch American Channels on Amazon Fire TV Stick with VPN
Alternatively, you can use VPN to bypass regional restrictions and watch US channels in Canada. Unfortunately, the Amazon Fire TV lacks a VPN client. Therefore you have to setup VPN on your router instead. By using VPN, you can hide your Canadian IP address and appear to be surfing the web using an American IP address instead.
- Once you establish an American VPN connection on your router, all your devices connected to that router will appear to be located in USA.
- This allows you to unblock all US channels in Canada at once.
- VPN also encrypts your traffic, increasing your Internet privacy and security in the process.
- Your Internet speed will slightly drop when using VPN. Make sure you sign up with a VPN provider that has fast VPN servers.
I would certainly recommend using ExpressVPN if you choose to use VPN to unblock American channels on your Fire TV. There are also other alternative VPN provider you can use to bypass geographic restrictions.
Top 10 American Streaming Channels on Amazon Fire TV
- Amazon Prime Instant Video
- American Netflix
- HBO GO
- Disney Channel
- NBC Sports Live Extra
How to Watch American Channels on Amazon Fire TV in Canada?
Security-wise, VPN is definitely the better choice when it comes to watching US channels in Canada. If you do not own a VPN-compatible router, however, you can always use Smart DNS to unblock those American streaming channels on your Amazon Fire TV Stick instead.