Roku is a great streaming device to watch Internet channels such as Netflix directly on your TV. It’s well-known that Canadian Netflix subscribers get less movies and TV shows than US Netflix region users. The volume of content of the Canadian library is smaller than the American Netflix library. So what can a Canadian resident do to change his/her Netflix region to USA on his Roku device? I’ll discuss the use of Smart DNS proxies and VPN to unblock US Netflix in Canada in this guide.
Watch and Unblock US Netflix on Roku in Canada using VPN or Smart DNS Proxies
Unblock American Netflix on Roku using Smart DNS proxies
In order to change your Netflix region, you need to trick your Roku device into thinking you’re accessing it from USA. Smart DNS proxies allow you to do that. Since Roku have locked down network configuration on their devices, you have to change the DNS settings on your router instead. Probably not as straight forward as you wish, but still worth it in the end. Check out the advantages of Smart DNS.
- Smart DNS smartly changes the direction of particular bits of your connection. Hence, your Internet speed is not reduced.
- Smart DNS enables you to stream channels from different regions simultaneously. Watch US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and CBC Canada.
- Keep your local IP address. Accessing local sites, services, and apps won’t be affected.
- Sign up. Get your DNS codes. Set them up on your router. Check out these videos and instructions for device setup here.
The only disadvantage of Smart DNS I can think of is its incompetency against ISP policies such as DNS hijacking and Transparent Proxies. If your ISP is one of those who deploys such methods, Smart DNS will not work for you.
If you want to give Smart DNS a try, sign up for Unlocator’s free 7-day trial. They do have an unrivaled 120 unblocked channels you get to choose from.
Watch US Netflix on Roku using VPN
VPN also allows you to bypass geographic restriction and watch US Netflix on your Roku. The Roku itself doesn’t have a VPN client. So, you need to set up VPN on VPN compatible router instead. Apart from granting you access to geoblocked content, VPN does have more benefits.
- VPN encrypts all your traffic and hides your IP address. This prevents the government, IPS, or anyone else from spying on your online activity.
- Once you choose an American VPN server, all your traffic will appear to be coming from the USA.
- Good VPN services only reduce your Internet speed by around 10%.
- VPN unblocks American channels like Netflix on your Roku even if your ISP uses DNS hijacking and Transparent Proxies.
When searching for a trustworthy VPN service, make sure you look for one which doesn’t log your web activity. ExpressVPN, for example, keeps zero logging of your browsing activity.
How to unblock US Netflix on Roku using Smart DNS proxies or VPN – Extra Info
Take a look at all US compatible Roku devices:
- Roku 1 (2710)
- Roku 2 (2720)
- Roku 2 XS (3100)
- Roku 2 HD (3000)
- Roku 3 (4200)
- Roku HD (2500, N1100)
- Roku HD-XR (N1101)
- Roku DVP (N1000)
- Roku LT (2400,2450,2700)
- Roku SD (N1050)
- Roku XD (2050, 3050)
- Roku XDS (2100)
- Roku Streaming Stick (HMDI 3500) (MHL 3400, 3420)
You can unblock all American channels listed below on Roku:
- US Netflix
- Amazon Instant Video
- Hulu Plus
- HBO Now
- HBO Go
- WWE Network
- Blockbuster on Demand
- Disney Channel
- NBA Game Time
In the end, unblocking US American Netflix on Roku in Canada might not seem as simple compared to other streaming devices. But if you follow the instruction for both Smart DNS or VPN, you’ll get there eventually. You can always use the comment section to hit us with any questions about unlocking geoblocked content anywhere.