Back in June, Microsoft finally decided to allow Xbox users without Xbox Live Gold membership to download apps like Netflix. To get the best out of your Netflix subscription, you should learn how to change your Netflix region from Canada to USA. Throughout this help guide, I’ll show you how to bypass geographic limitations and access US Netflix on your Xbox. To do that, you’ll either need Smart DNS proxies or VPN. I will also demonstrate each method’s pros and cons.
Unblock and Watch American Netflix on Xbox 360 or Xbox One in Canada using VPN or Smart DNS proxies
Watch American Netflix on Xbox in Canada using Smart DNS proxies
Smart DNS proxy probably is the most used method to unblock American Netflix outside the USA. This is due to Smart DNS proxy’s flexibility and speed. I’ve made a summary of Smart DNS benefits.
- Device Support: Smart DNS proxies support most streaming devices. Xbox One/360, PS3/PS4, and even Smart TVs can all benefit from Smart DNS.
- High Speed: Smart DNS does not encrypt your traffic. Hence, your bandwidth stays unaffected.
- Access Pan-national Streaming Channels: Get access to various geoblocked channels from different countries at the same time. You can watch US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, CBC Canada, and CanalPlay France simultaneously.
- Preserve your IP address: Smart DNS proxy does not alter your local IP address. Therefore, you won’t be banned from accessing any local sites or services.
Smart DNS proxy does have one drawback though. It won’t work in regions where IPS applies Transparent Proxies or DNS hijacking.
Smart DNS providers like Unlocator do have videos and screenshot of how to set up your Xbox device with Smart DNS. Additionally, Unlocator have a list of 120 unlocked channels. If you want to try out Smart DNS on your XBox, check out Unlocator’s free 7-day trial.
Unlock US Netflix on Xbox in Canada using VPN
Neither the Xbox 360 nor Xbox One has a VPN client. This means that you have to set up VPN on a VPN compatible router or on your PC/Mac. Installing VPN on a router grants all devices connected to it access to a VPN connection. If you don’t have a VPN router, you can alternatively enable Network Sharing on your computer and connect Xbox to it using an Ethernet cable. Using VPN to unblock American Netflix might not seem as straight forward as using Smart DNS, but it still has its advantages.
- VPN protects you against DDoS attacks. Some gamers use this immoral method to eliminate others players during online tournaments.
- If you choose an American VPN server, your Xbox will have access to censored and blocked US apps on Xbox Live. Amazon Instant Video, MLB.TV, Hulu Plus, and Crackle all become available.
- Unlike Smart DNS, the issue of DNS hijacking and Transparent proxies does not present a problem to VPN.
- Provided you choose a good VPN service provider, VPN will reduce latency and lag for online games.
Speaking of decent VPN service providers, I recently discovered ExpressVPN who do offer 24/7 chat and email support, around 72 VPN locations, and unlimited bandwidth.
How to Unblock/Watch US Netflix on Xbox in Canada – Other Useful Info
Using VPN or Smart DNS does grant you access to geo-resticted content on Xbox. I prepared the list below which includes the best American Entertainment Apps on Xbox Game Store.
- Hulu Plus
- Amazon Instant Video
- Redbox Instant
- Comedy Central
- WWE Network
Gamers living in Canada or anywhere else outside USA, won’t be able to truly unlock all of Xbox’s capabilities as a media box without Smart DNS or VPN. Hopefully, the above guide gave you a comprehensive idea about how both methods help enhance your Xbox experience. Feel free to use the comment box below to notify me about any issues you might face using Smart DNS or VPN.