Many Canadian have been using Hola to unblock and watch American Netflix for the last couple of years. The browser extension used to work without much hassle. However, Netflix is now actively blocking users who attempt to change their Netflix region to USA using Hola. Instead of watching a movie or TV show that is exclusively available in the US Netflix library, you now get the following Hola Netflix proxy error instead.“You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy.” In other words, Hola is not working any longer. If you are looking for a fix, there are two workarounds that allow you to watch Netflix USA in Canada: ExpressVPN and Unlocator Smart DNS.
Hola Netflix Proxy Error 2017 How to Fix in Canada
Hola Netflix Proxy Error Detected How to Fix with VPN
First of all, it’s important to know that using Hola might compromise your online privavy/security. Hola has been know to sell its users’ bandwidth. So, even if it is still somehow working for you, you should probably reconsider whether to continue bypassing geo-restritions using Hola. For the time being, most Hola users are not able to avoid that Netflix proxy error. There is a much safer method you can use to watch American Netflix in Canada: VPN.
- By using VPN on your Android, iPhone, iPad, PC, or Mac, you are practically encrypting all your Internet traffic.
- Connecting to a US VPN servers unblocks American Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, Vudu, HBO, ABC Go, and all other American channels which are geoblocked in Canada.
- If you want to switch back to Canadian Netflix, simply turn off the VPN connection.
- The same method can be used to unblock UK Netflix in Canada as well.
Before signing up with a VPN provider, conduct a small research to make sure it does work with Netflix. The VPN provider I use, ExpressVPN, allows me to watch American Netflix outside USA.
Fix Hola Netflix Proxy Error 2017 in Canada with Smart DNS
Smart DNS is another tool to unblock geoblocked channels like Netflix, Hulu, and HBO GO. Although different techniques are used here compared to VPN, the end result is the same i.e. you will be able to watch American Netflix in Canada if you sign up with a proper Smart DNS proxy service.
- Smart DNS is compatible with much more streaming devices when compared to VPN. You can watch American Netflix on Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick, Xbox, PS3, PS4, as well as Smart TVs.
- You will not loose access to Canadian streaming channels while using Smart DNS.
- Your Canadian IP address as well as your Internet speed do not change when using Smart DNS.
- Unlike VPN, one Smart DNS setup allows you to unblock streaming channels from different regions simultaneously.
Searching for a Smart DNS service that still works with Netflix can be a bit daunting. Give Unlocator a try. Their service works with both American and UK Netflix in Canada. Signing up is free and setting up Smart DNS can be achieved by following these setup guides/videos.
How to Bypass Netflix Proxy Error with Hola – Smart DNS Proxy
When using VPN or Smart DNS, you can completely uninstall and delete Hola off your streaming devices as it become obsolete. Both Unlocator or ExpressVPN will allow you to unblock all geo-restricted channels in Canada including Netflix USA.