Swedish people working abroad always want to keep up with the channels that they got used to at home, before relocating overseas. If one of those channels happens to be SVT Play, they’ll have to find a way to unblock SVT Play in Canada or wherever they now live. That’s because SVT is geoblocked outside Sweden. To get around geo-restrictions, one would need to get to know about the two main methods used to unblock geo-blocked channels: Virtual Private Networks (VPN) or Smart DNS proxies.
Unblock SVT Play in Canada with Smart DNS or VPN
Unblock SVT Play in Canada via VPN
If you’re not a tech savvy individual, then there’s no need to worry here since VPN is a simple technology that doesn’t need much technical familiarity to understand. It works by changing your IP address to that of the country whose channels you want to stream. For example, to stream SVT Play in Canada, your VPN provider will have to change your IP address to a Swedish one. This way you unblock STV Play alongside other geo-blocked channels in Canada. Here’s more about VPN:
- Your privacy online is made a key priority here. No one, not even your ISP provider will be able to view what it is you’re browsing since your Internet traffic will be encrypted.
- You’ll be able to change into any region of your choice once you install VPN. This means you can watch channels from Germany, Australia, Italy, France, Spain or even Canada.
- ISP policies such as DNS tracking and transparent proxies won’t have any effect on you once you switch to VPN.
- Using VPN means you’re ready to give up a slight amount of your bandwidth. Keep in mind that the margin greatly depends on who you choose as your service provider.
I signed up with ExpressVPN because they had a 30-day money-back guarantee; but this was after going through these other options and figuring out which was the best.
Using Smart DNS Proxy to Watch SVT Play in Canada
Smart DNS has to be the simplest method you can use to stream SVT Play in Canada or elsewhere. You can setup almost all your device with Smart DNS. Whether you’re using your iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Android Device, PS3/PS4, or Xbox, Smart DNS is guaranteed to work easily on all of them. Here’s what you should know.
- Smart DNS doesn’t guarantee absolute privacy. Your ISP will be able to spy on what sites and channels you’re visiting. Your Internet traffic won’t be encrypted.
- Since your IP address will remain the same, you won’t lose your access to local channels while using Smart DNS. In other words, you can watch BBC iPlayer, SVT, Viaplay and ITV at the same time.
- Your Internet speed will remain unaffected; it won’t change.
- ISP policies such as transparent proxies can break Smart DNS’s functionality. No such worries with VPN.
Unlocator is a Smart DNS proxy service that supports unblocking SVT Play, Viaplay, Magine, TV3 Sverige, TV4 Play, among others. All you need is to sign up for a free 7-day trial and then setup Smart DNS on your streaming device using these videos, setup guides, and tutorials.
SVT Play Supported Streaming Devices
- Apple TV
Smart DNS or VPN to Stream SVT Play in Canada – Final Verdict
Since everyone’s preference is different, we cannot really offer a verdict on which method is better than the other when it comes to these solutions. A user might be OK with reducing their Internet connectivity speed (VPN) but not very comfortable with the lack of privacy online (Smart DNS). Once you evaluate your needs and compare them to the pros and cons of each solution, you’ll be able to pick the one that will work best for you.