Canal Plus is the top French TV broadcaster, providing on-demand as well as live coverage of all the latest news, sports, movies, and TV shows. Given the huge contingent of French-speakers in Canada, many Canadians search for ways to unblock Canal+ outside France. You can use VPN or Smart DNS proxies to unblock Canal Plus abroad. Read the following guide for more info/instructions on how to use either method to bypass regional restrictions.
Watch Canal Plus in Canada How to Unblock via VPN Smart DNS
How to Unblock Canal Plus in Canada – VPN Method
As with every other major streaming channel, Canal Plus is geo-restricted. That means you will not be able to watch any Canal+ videos outside France. To determine your geographic location, Canal Plus use your IP address. Any users who appears to be not using a French IP address receives the following error message. “Pour des raisons de droits d’exploitation des programmes, le service live n’est pas disponible en dehors de la France.” So, is it possible to get a French IP address in Canada and subsequently watch Canal Play, myCanal, or Canal Plus outside France? The answer is yes.
- First, you need to sign up with a proper VPN provider. There are free VPN alternatives but these are highly unstable. They also impost bandwidth caps.
- Next, download/install the VPN applications on your PC, Mac, iOS, or Android.
- Then, connect to a French VPN server to get a French IP address.
- Your streaming device will now appear to be browsing the web from France.
- Launch the myCanal app or visit the Canal Plus website and stream any video you want.
I am using ExpressVPN to unblock myCanal, CanalPlay, as well as Canal Plus in Canada. They offer several French VPN servers and I am yet to experience any buffering while using their service.
Watch Canal+ outside France – Smart DNS Proxy Method
If VPN just isn’t your thing, use Smart DNS to watch Canal Plus in Canada instead. There are some key differences, however, between Smart DNS and VPN.
- VPN encrypts your Internet traffic, securing all your private data along the way. That is not the case with Smart DNS.
- Your IP address does not change when you use Smart DNS.
- There is no need do download additional software for Smart DNS.
- You can setup Smart DNS proxies on all your streaming devices.
- If your ISP uses DNS hijacking or transparent proxies, you’re better off using VPN to bypass geographic restrictions.
Note that not all Smart DNS proxies support unblocking Canal Plus abroad. Use Unlocator Smart DNS to watch Canal+ in France. You can sign up for a free 7-day Unlocator trial. Setup guides and videos are also available.
How to Unblock Canal+ in Canada – Use Smart DNS or VPN?
Ultimately, you have to choose between VPN or Smart DNS if you want to watch Canal Plus in Canada. I’ve tested either method and both work without issues.