The American Netflix version is the best available. This is due to the large size of the US Netflix library when compared to others such as Canadian Netflix. If you’re searching for a way to change your Netflix region on your Android device, there are two adequate solutions. You can either use Smart DNS proxies or VPN to bypass geographic restrictions and unlock US Netflix on a Samsung, LG, Sony, Motorola, or HTC Android smartphone or tablet. I’ll provide you with info and instructions along with some tips on both Smart DNS and VPN.
Unblock and Watch American Netflix on Android in Canada using VPN or Smart DNS proxies
How to unblock US Netflix on Android devices using Smart DNS proxies
The first method which allows you to change your Netflix region from Canada to USA is Smart DNS. In simple terms, Smart DNS proxies change the direction of the traffic chunks that disclose your geolocation. By doing so, you can watch the American Netflix version on your Android instead of Canadian Netflix. Smart DNS does have other benefits you should be aware of.
- Smart DNS proxies work on all Android smartphones and tablets including Samsung Galaxy, HTC Desire, Sony Xperia, Motorola Moto G, and LG G3.
- Your mobile’s Internet speed will not be slowed down if you are using Smart DNS proxies.
- Using Smart DNS, you get to unlock multi-regional geoblocked channels at once. This grants you the ability to stream US Netflix , BBC Iplayer and CBC at the same time for example.
- Smart DNS does not change or conceal your local IP address. This means that your access to all local sites and services will not be revoked.
- In some instances an ISP (Internet Service Provider) applies DNS hijacking or Transparent Proxies. If your ISP acts in similar fashion, Smart DNS will unfortunately not work on your Android device.
I have been using Smart DNS proxies to unblock American Netflix for a couple of years now. I used to search for free DNS codes online until I found out how unsafe and unstable they are. That’s when I decided to give Unlocator a try. I was very impressed by the 120 unlocked streaming services they offered. They do supply videos and tutorials on how to set up your device with Smart DNS and also have a free 7-day trial period you can take advantage of.
Unlock US Netflix on Android using VPN
VPN (Virtual Private Network) is the second method which enables you to access geoblocked channels like American Netflix on your Android. While Smart DNS is only concerned with specific bits of your connection, VPN completely converts the destination of your connection to a VPN server in a foreign country such as the United States. As a result, you will seem to be streaming Netflix from USA as opposed to Canada. Let’s have a look at the advantages of VPN.
- VPN offers a very high level of Internet security by encrypting your online data. This becomes useful if you send sensitive data such as banking credentials online.
- Once you choose an American VPN server, you will be able to access all American streaming apps on your Android device.
- VPN is uninfluenced by ISP policies like DNS hijacking and Transparent Proxies.
- VPN spoofs your IP address. Thereby, your online identity becomes hidden.
- VPN works on all Android devices without the need to root your smartphone.
Reliable VPN services such as ExpressVPN only reduce your Internet speed by about 10%. ExpressVPN do offer VPN apps for Android, PC, Mac, and iPhone. Such apps make setting up VPN relatively simple.
How to unblock/watch US Netflix on Android in Canada – Additional Information
In addition to US Netflix, you can also watch the following US streaming services on Android in Canada.
- HBO Go
- Hulu Plus
- Amazon Instant Video
- WWE Network
- Showtime Anytime
- Disney Channel
- Fox Soccer 2Go
- Watch ABC
Neither Smart DNS nor VPN requires your Android device to be rooted. If you’re still unsure about which method to choose in order to change your Netflix region, take another look at their distinct benefits. Simply choose the method that suits your needs the most. I’ll happily provide additional information or instructions in the comment section below.