American Netflix is better than Canadian Netflix for a couple of reasons. First, the US Netflix version has a far bigger library than the Canadian Netflix version. Furthermore, big movies and TV shows/series get released earlier via Netflix in USA than they do in Canada. You can actually change your Netflix region and access US Netflix instead of Canadian Netflix by using one of two methods: Smart DNS or VPN. I’ll explain both Smart DNS and VPN and their benefits in this help guide.
Unblock and Watch American Netflix in Canada using VPN or Smart DNS proxies
Unblock US Netflix in Canada using Smart DNS proxies
Smart DNS is my favorite solution when it comes to bypassing any geographic restrictions. That’s mainly because Smart DNS proxies work on almost all streaming devices. Once you change your DNS IPs on your router or streaming device, you will be able to stream American Netflix with its huge library instead of Canadian Netflix. Smart DNS has other features you should be aware of.
- Smart DNS does not slow down your Internet speed. If you use a decent Smart DNS provider, your connection is only partially redirected.
- Change your Netflix region without having to change your device configuration. This means you can watch US Netflix, UK’s Now TV, and Middle East’s BEIN Sports using one configuration.
- My favorite Smart DNS feature is its ability to work on nearly any streaming device. Smart DNS proxies allow you to change your Netflix region to American Netflix on your iPhone, iPad, Android, Apple TV, Smart TV, PS4, Xbox, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, or Roku.
- All major streaming sites are supported including Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBO Go, Crackle, WWE Network, and UFC.
Smart DNS ineffectiveness against Transparent Proxies or DNS hijacking is its only setback. If your ISP doesn’t deploy such policies then you don’t have to worry about that.
I have been using a Smart DNS provider called Unlocator for quite some time now. What I like most about Unlocator is the fact they offer an boasting 120 unblocked streaming services. If you want to give Smart DNS a go, you can check out Unlocators free 7-day trial period and their videos/guides for Smart DNS setup.
Watch American Netflix in Canada using VPN
VPN also allows you to access geoblocked content like US Netflix from Canada or anywhere else. Given you choose a decent VPN provider, you’ll be able to enjoy all of VPN distinct features.
- VPN basically encrypts your traffic and shields it against eavesdropping.
- VPN allows your traffic to appear from the location of the VPN server you choose. If you pick an USA VPN server, you can access all US streaming services including American Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Fox Soccer 2Go, M-Go, and Crunchyroll.
- VPN is neither affected by DNS hijacking nor Transparent Proxies.
- VPN is easy to set up. Just sign up. Get a username and password and follow the rest of instructions. Decent VPN services do provide VPN apps for iPhone, iPad, Android, PC, and Mac.
VPN does not work on devices without a VPN client. If you wish to watch US Netflix on Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, Smart TV, PS3/PS4, or Xbox, you have to set up VPN on a VPN enabled router first.
You’ll certainly notice that your Internet speed is slowing down if you choose a low quality VPN service. I am currently using ExpressVPN, and it’s working flawlessly for me so far.
American Netflix VS Canadian Netflix – The Verdict
You may wonder whether switching your Netflix region to USA is worth all the work. If you ask anyone who already did change their Netflix region, they’ll tell you it’s well worth it. Simply choose Smart DNS or VPN, follow the instructions and guides, and enjoy the huge American Netflix library.