The Canadian Netflix version isn’t bad by any means, but it’s nowhere near as large as the American Netflix version. So, how can you unblock US Netflix on your Apple TV in Canada? Actually, there are two ways that allow you to bypass geographic restrictions and access US Netflix instead of the Canadian version. You can either use Smart DNS proxies or VPN to change your Netflix region. In this article, I will compare the advantages of Smart DNS and VPN. Additionally, I will provide you with more information about both methods.
Unblock and Watch American Netflix on Apple TV in Canada using VPN or Smart DNS proxies
Watch US Netflix on Apple TV in Canada using Smart DNS proxies
The first method that grants you access to the vast US Netflix library is Smart DNS. Smart DNS proxies simply reroute the parts of you Internet connection that are related to your geolocation. By doing this, you’ll appear to be accessing Netflix from USA instead of Canada. Check out other Smart DNS benefit below.
- Smart DNS does not slow down your Internet speed.
- Smart DNS makes it possible to watch streaming channels belonging to different regions at once. In other words, you could watch US Netflix and Now TV without reconfiguring the initial Smart DNS setup.
- Smart DNS practically works on any streaming device including Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, and Mac.
- Changing your geolocation might result in being unable to access some local websites. By using Smart DNS proxies, however, you still get to browse any local site you wish. This is due to the fact that your local IP address remains unchanged.
Before you decide on using Smart DNS proxies, make sure your ISP does not deploy DNS hijacking or Transparent Proxies. If it does, Smart DNS becomes useless on your Apple TV.
A lot of people tend to look for free DNS codes online. These codes usually expire in a couple of days. If you’re looking for a stable Smart DNS service, give Unlocator a try. They offer their users around 120 streaming channels in addition to videos and guides on how to use DNS codes on Apple TV. Unlocator do have a free 7-day trial.
Unblock US Netflix on Apple TV using VPN
Alternatively you can use VPN do unlock American Netflix on your Apple TV in Canada. VPN works differently than Smart DNS in that it redirects your entire Internet traffic through a VPN server of your choice. A list of VPN advantages can be found below.
- If you choose an American VPN server, all US streaming services become available to you including US Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, and Crackle.
- VPN is neither affected by DNS hijacking nor Transparent Proxies.
- VPN changes your IP address and conceals it. This means you can surf the web anonymously.
- VPN offers you an high online level security by encrypting your online data.
Since Apple TV does not have a VPN client, you need to set up VPN on a VPN enabled router. After this is done, all devices connected to that router will have access to its VPN connection.
Given that you find a proper VPN service such as ExpressVPN, your Internet speed will almost stay unaffected. ExpressVPN do offer good support and have VPN servers distributed around the world.
How to unblock American Netflix on Apple TV – What else do I need to know?
Once you unlock US Netflix on your Apple TV, a range of other American apps become available.
- Amazon Instant Video
- Hulu Plus
- HBO Go
- WWE Network
- NFL Now
- Disney Channel
That’s all you basically need to know about both Smart DNS and VPN. There’s some effort behind each method, but it’s well worth it in the end. Please get in touch with me by leaving a comment.